Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
Committee on the Working of the Abortion Act (CWAA) papers
- Part of:
- Abortion Law Reform Association
- Archives and manuscripts
- CWAA Papers: 50. Recommendations by NHS Groups to the Committee (see also CWAA 69); 51. Treaty of Rome and a residential qualification; 52. Illegal Abortions (and see 62); 53. Illegal Abortions, data from HIPE; 54. Notes and comments on abortions in women of social classes IV and V; 55. Menstrual aspiration: correspondence and memos; 56. Psychiatric aspects of legalised abortion; 57. Preliminary report by Dr Rothman and in the USA about the control of pregnancy advisory bureaux; 58. Oral evidence: some questions for witnesses; 59. Submission of evidenceSA/ALR/C.58
- CWAA Papers: (65.-66. see C.116); 67. Late termination: note by Secretariat; 68. Pilot Projects, with alternative draft by Miss Barnes; 69. Expansion of CWAA 50 - contractual arrangements by Dr Rue; 70. Pregnancy Testing; 71. Recommendations to Committee from Group on pregnancy advice bureaux; 72. Report from Group on Pregnancy in the under 16-year old; 73. Disposal of Fetuses and Fetal Material obtained at abortion (see also CWAA 38/24); 74. Report of analysis of form concerning individual patients, (second draft): form D of CWAA questionnaire to hospitals; 75. Chapter 6: Process (first draft)SA/ALR/C.63
- CWAA Papers: 80. Uterine evacuation before diagnosis of pregnancy, comments on draft; 81. Provision of contraceptives to children under age of consent without parental knowledge; 82. Children in care and termination of pregnancy; (83. see C.117); 84. Summary of patients' experiences; 85. Contraception and sterilisation, paper by Secretariat; 86. Women resident abroad coming for abortion, paper by Secretariat, (87. see C.117)SA/ALR/C.65
- CWAA Papers: 90. Summary of patients' experience; 91. Analysis of members' comments on 1st draft of introduction; 92. Section E, Methods of Abortion (Second Draft); (93. see C.117); 94. Effects of failure to obtain abortion; 95. Comments of members and Secretariat on draft Chapter 8 - Who Should Decide?; (96. see C.117); 97. Implications of the Act for nurses and midwives, paper by Miss Worsley and Miss Munro; 98. The role of the general practitioner, Dr Pereira Gray; (99.-100. see C.117); 101. Procedure by which a woman obtains legal abortion; 102. Outline draft of CWAA statistical appendix, Chapter 10; (103. see C.118); 104. Legal position in ScotlandSA/ALR/C.67
- CWAA Papers: 106. Comments of members and Secretariat on draft Chapter 1: Criteria for abortion; 107. Historical and International Appendix; 108. The Pregnancy Advisory and Medical Trust: note by Secretariat; 109. Index of written evidence (several); 110. Comments by members and Secretariat on draft Section K - Upper limit of abortion; (111.-113. see C.119); (114. missing); (115.-116. see C.119)SA/ALR/C.70
- CWAA Papers: 120. Women resident abroad coming for abortion, note by Secretariat; 121. Day care services for early abortions; 122. The gynaecologist and abortion; (123. see C.121); 124. Letter from Dr Batchelor, University of Dundee, commenting on paper 'Suicide Attempts in a Population Pregnant as Teenagers'; (125. missing); 126. Letter from R.D. Ireland, suggesting amendments to paper K, 127. Sex education in British Schools, with other papers on the subject, (128.-131. see C.121); 132. Women resident abroad coming for abortion, note by Secretariat; (133. see C.121); 134. Contraception including sterilisation, comments on draft sectionsSA/ALR/C.73
- CWAA Papers: 135. Comments on Section G by Mrs Cheetham; 136. Outcome of unwanted pregnancies by Emery and Lavin, comments on paper from Stuart Lord; (137. see C.121); 138. Implications of the Abortion Act for Nurses and Midwives; (139. missing); (140.-141. see C.121); 142. Section H, 3rd and final draft - Who Should Decide?; 143. Comments on draft sections; (144. missing); (145.-147. see C.121); (148. missing); (149.-150. see C.121); 151. Comments on main report, Section E; (152. see C.121); 153. Section B, criticism; 154. Comments on main report; (155. missing); 156. Information about CWAA Report, draft press hand outSA/ALR/C.74
About this work
A series of papers circulated to members of the Committee, numbered in a sequence CWAA 1-156, of which some are not here. Some items are closed.