Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

National Association for the Prevention of Consumption and other forms of Tuberculosis, successor and associated bodies

  • National Association for the Prevention of Consumption and other forms of Tuberculosis
Date
1890s-1990s
Reference
SA/NPT
  • Archives and manuscripts

About this work

Description

Administrative records of the Association from its foundation in 1899 to the 1990s, including Council and committee minutes, financial records, correspondence, publications, leaflets and posters. Also included are records dealing with the organisation of the 1901 British Congress on Tuberculosis. The collection contains the records of pre-existing charitable funds that were later amalgamated into the Association, notably minutes of the Spero Fund and of the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium and related Funds. The records of the latter, in turn, include administrative and patient records of the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium, Davos, Switzerland, 1890s-1920s. A single minute book for one of the Association's local affiliated organisations, the Cambridgeshire Tuberculosis After-care Association, 1916-1935, is also included.

Publication/Creation

1890s-1990s

Physical description

52 boxes; 7 oversize volumes

Arrangement

The administrative records of the Association have been listed in SA/NPT/A. Records of organisations that merged with the NAPT, but dating from prior to that merger, have been listed separately. These include the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium Fund (SA/NPT/D) and the Central Fund for the Industrial Welfare of Tuberculous Persons (SA/NPT/E). Records relating to the administration of these organisations after merger are listed with the main administrative records of the Association, except where there was continuity of record-keeping, as in the case of the local administration of the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium Fund in Switzerland. Records of organisations associated with, but not part of, the Association, including the British Congress on Tuberculosis (SA/NPT/B) and the Cambridgeshire Tuberculosis After-care Association (SA/NPT/F), have also been listed separately.

Acquisition note

These records were deposited by The Stroke Association in January 2003.

Biographical note

At a meeting of members of the medical profession in June 1898 it was decided that 'a public movement' should be inaugurated 'with the purpose of endeavouring to prevent the ravages caused by tuberculosis in the United Kingdom.' The National Association for the Prevention of Consumption and other forms of Tuberculosis (NAPC) was founded in 1899 with three main aims: the education of public opinion and the stimulation of individual initiative; influencing central and local government; and the establishment of local branches. The Royal physician Sir William Broadbent was Chairman of the first Organising Committee, and the Council was composed of both laymen and prominent public health and tuberculosis doctors including James Crichton Browne, Arthur Ransome, Alfred Hillier and R.W. Philip. In April 1919 it changed its name to the National Association for the Prevention of Tuberculosis (NAPT). The doctor, lawyer, and writer, J.H. Harley Williams, was a long-serving Medcial Commissioner and Secretary-General.

The Association's main activity was propaganda and health education. It organised conferences, lectures, exhibitions and touring caravans, produced health information material, including leaflets, posters and films, and published journals.These included NAPT Bulletin, Health Horizon, and Tuberculosis Index. It also offered an information bureau and enquiry service. Through networks of local affiliated organisations it supported the establishment of sanatoria, dispensaries and care commitees around the UK and abroad. It also aided individual sufferers, and in 1928 began to offer grants to individual necessitous cases. The Association funded research in the UK and abroad. Studies included that of F.C.S. Bradbury into the connection between poverty and tubeculosis in Tyneside in the 1930s, Eric Wittkower's research into psychological factors in tuberculosis in the 1940s, and enquiries in Burma, Cyprus, and the West Indies, among others. Individual committees examined particular issues, such as mass radiography and sanatorium design and construction. The Association also supported training and education for medical staff, and offered scholarships for overseas students. It formed special sections for sanatorium matrons, nurses and those involved in medico-social work.

In 1917 The Association made an appeal to start a Farm Colony for discharged tuberculous servicemen and in 1918 acquired a site at Frimley in Surrey, where it established and administered Burrow Hill Colony. It later offered treatment to the sons of war veterans. The Colony was closed in 1943 and the property sold. In the 1950s a new scheme (known as athe Burrow Hill Training Fund) was inaugurated under which grants could be made from the income of the Trust to men and boys for training in suitable occupations.

The NAPT also took over a number of other charitable enterprises. In 1954 the Queen Alexandra Sanatorium Fund and allied Funds, including the St. Moritz Aid Fund, Huggard Memorial Benevolent Fund and the Mary Beck Trust Fund, were transferred to the NAPT. In the early 1950s the Spero Fund (Previously the Central Fund for the Industrial Welfare of Tuberculous Persons) also appointed the officers of the NAPT to act as Trustees and to take over its administration.

Owing to decline in the prevalence of tuberculosis, the Association extended its objectives to other diseases of the chest and heart that were often dealt with by tuberculosis physicians. In 1956 it altered its Memorandum of Association accordingly, and added the words 'and Diseases of the Chest and Heart' to its name. In April 1958 the name was changed again, to The Chest and Heart Association for the Conquest of Chest and Heart Diseases through Research, Education and Treatment, commonly known as the Chest and Heart Association (CHA). The new name came into use on 1 January 1959. By this date, the Association's activities covered heart disease, lung cancer, bronchitis, asthma, pneumoconiosis, cystic fibrosis and other diseases as well as tuberculosis. Anti-smoking campaigns were included in its work at this date. By the 1970s the Association had begun to pay more attention to the area of stroke and The Volunteer Stroke Service was established . In 1975 the Association's Memorandum and Articles of Association and name were again revised to reflect this, and it became The Chest, Heart and Stroke Association. In 1992 the Association decided to focus exclusively on the area of stroke, working to reduce the effect of stroke on patients, their families, carers and the community, and changed its name to The Stroke Association.

Related material

The Wellcome Library, Archives and Manuscripts, holds papers of Harley Williams, including a small amount of material relating to his work with the Association (PP/HWI). The Library also holds publications of the Association, including annual reports, Council reports,conference transactions and periodicals, such as the NAPT Bulletin. A few letters from Harley Williams to Enoch Powell, who served on the Council of the Association, may be found amongst Powell's papers, held at Churchill College, Cambridge (POLL). Further records pertaining to the Spero Fund are held at The National Archives, (including BT 31/35758/365305, BM 10/3-4, LAB 2/2132/1/F195/1945 and LAB 16/88).

Terms of use

This collection has been catalogued and is available to library members. Some items have access restrictions which are explained in the item-level catalogue records.

Appraisal note

With the agreement of the depositor, books and journals have been transferred to the printed collections of the Wellcome Library, or otherwise disposed of. The collection has been weeded of ephemeral financial material.

Permanent link