Wellcome Bureau of Scientific Research

Part of:
Wellcome Foundation Ltd
  • Archives and manuscripts

About this work


The WBSR was founded in 1913, under the Directorship of Dr Andrew Balfour, formerly Director of WTRL. At first, WBSR made use of temporary premises at 54a Wigmore Street. More permanent premises, at 10 Henrietta Street, which were adapted to include laboratories, a library, and a museum for teaching purposes, were occupied in March 1914.

In addition to Balfour's responsibilities as Director of WBSR, he was given overall responsibility, as Director-in-Chief, for WCRL and WPRL. Thus, the papers in WF/WBSR have an administrative character. In 1924, Balfour resigned as Director-in-Chief, and was succeeded by Dr C M Wenyon, who remained in post until his retirement in 1944.

The files cover a range of matters, including:
diphtheria anti-toxin;
canine distemper;
summaries of research conducted in America at the Burroughs Wellcome & Co Research Laboratory at Tuckahoe, New York;
the composition of "Ernutin";
Home Office registration of Langley Court as a place where experiments on animals were permitted.



Physical description

6 boxes

Related material


Ownership note

Please see main WF collection description (ref. 'WF').

Permanent link