Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
- RET 1/7
- Part of
- The Retreat Archive
- Archives and manuscripts
About this work
Different magazines have been produced at the Retreat, at different periods. Harbour Lights began in January 1923 and lasted until January 1942. Miss S. H. Milner, a Quaker who originally came to the Retreat as a patient, but later lived there for many years as a private resident, was the founding editor. She edited the magazine up to her death in late 1934. The title was apparently the suggestion of the Medical Superintendent, Dr Bedford Pierce. The magazine was for both staff and patients (and any others who wished to subscribe: it cost 3/6 per year), and it contained news, articles, and ‘odds and ends’. It records many of the social activities which went on at the Retreat at this period, plus news of staff and others. Phoenix (originally entitled Old Tuke’s Almanack) was produced intermittently in the 1950s. Smaller in scope and ambition, this typescript magazine contained small general articles and Social Club news
Open and available at the Borthwick Institute for Archives. This material has been digitised by the Borthwick Institute for Archives as part of a Wellcome Trust funded project, and can be freely accessed online through the Wellcome Library catalogue.