Library catalogue
Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Images

Crichton Royal Club

Date
1930-1950
Reference
DGH1/7/5
Part of
Records of Crichton Royal Hospital
  • Archives and manuscripts


About this work

Description

There is only one volume in this subseries, Minute Book, 1930-1950.

Publication/Creation

1930-1950

Physical description

1 volume

Biographical note

Crichton Royal Club was formed by Physician Superintendent Dr C. C. Easterbrook to oversee and organise the activities of the sporting and social clubs at Crichton Royal Institution. The Club was based at Hannahfield Hall which became the club house for all indoor recreational activities. The Crichton Royal Club set the rules for each of the individual clubs and each club participated in the General Committee and submitted reports to the Annual General Meetings that were held in October each year. Crichton Royal Club was for patients and staff, with patients gaining automatic membership to all clubs and staff paying subscriptions. At the first meeting in October 1930 there were around 250 attendees, and the following clubs were recognised as affiliated branches of the Crichton Royal Club: Badminton, Bowling, Carpet Bowling, Cricket, Croquet, Curling, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Hockey, Lawn Tennis, Literary and Debating, Musical and Dramatic, Arts and Crafts, Billiard and Card, Chess and Draughts, Boy Scouts, Girl Guides, Wolf Cubs and Brownies. The Club also organised sports days for staff and patients. When Easterbrook Hall opened in 1938 it became the centre for recreational activities. By 1948 the Crichton Royal Club was much less active in hospital life as the number of staff members living in the hospital grounds had decreased and individual clubs became more autonomous again.

Related material

C. R. I. Scrapbook, DGH1/6/17/1; Hospital Magazines, DGH1/7/1; Theatricals, Concerts and Entertainments; Sports, DGH1/7/4.

Copyright note

Enquiries for reproduction for commercial purposes should be directed to the Archivist, Dumfries and Galloway Archives and Local Studies

Terms of use

The papers are available at Dumfries and Galloway Archives subject to conditions of UK Data Protection Act 1998, Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 and NHS Records Management Code of Practice 2012. Subject to these restrictions, this material is being digitised by the University of Glasgow as part of a Wellcome Trust funded project. Material that is digitised will be accessed freely online through the Wellcome Library catalogue.

Languages

  • English

Permanent link