Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
Boer War: The Duke of Connaught raising the Union Jack on the masthead of a hospital ship, an official Committee and line of soldiers in attendance. Gouache painting by F. Dickinson after D. Macpherson, 1899.
- MacPherson, Douglas, 1871-1951
Public Domain Mark
You can use this work for any purpose without restriction under copyright law.
Public Domain Mark (PDM) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0
Selected images from this work
About this work
1 painting : gouache, with pencil
The Duke of Connaught raising the Union Jack on the "Maine" ... drawn by F. C. Dickinson from a sketch by D. MacPherson
Lettering continues with text describing the scene
Wellcome Library no. 23557i
- FlagsGreat Britain
- Rites and ceremonies
- Masts and rigging
- South African War, 1899-1902
- Hospital ships
- Hospitals, Naval and marine
- Kings and rulers
- Louise, Princess, Duchess of Argyll, 1848-1939
- Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942
- Louise Margaret Alexandra Victoria Agnes, Princess, Duchess of Connaught and of Stratheam, 1860-
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores