Larevellière-Lépeaux sits in a disordered quack doctor's room, in the presence of seven wounded French generals, one of them vomiting; representing French defeats in 1799 and Bonaparte's failed imperial ambitions in the east. Coloured etching by J. Gillray, 1799.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815.
- 20 June 1799
About this picture
[London] (St. James Street) : H. Humphrey, 20 June 1799.
1 print : etching, with watercolour ; platemark 26 x 36.2 cm
French generals retiring, on account of their health; - with Lepaux presiding in the directorial dispensary.
- Wounds and injuries.
- Quacks and quackery.
- Military uniforms.
- La Revellière-Lépeaux, Louis-Marie de, 1753-1824.
- Lake, Gerard Lake, Viscount, 1744-1808.
- Napoleon I, Emperor of the French, 1769-1821.
- Charles, Archduke of Austria, 1771-1847.
- Robespierre, Maximilien, 1758-1794.
- Jourdan, Jean-Baptiste, 1762-1833.
- Kléber, Jean-Baptiste, 1753-1800.
- Charles XIV John, King of Sweden and Norway, 1763-1844.
- Schérer, Barthélemy, active 1799.
- Macdonald, Etienne-Jacques-Joseph-Alexandre, duc de Tarente, 1765-1840.
- Championnet, Jean-Etienne, 1762-1800.
- Joubert, Barthélemy-Catharine, 1769-1799.
Where to find it
You can use this work for any purpose, including commercial uses, without restriction under copyright law. You should also provide attribution to the original work, source and licence.
Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0