Friern Hospital, London: a girl, head and shoulders, with smallpox. Photograph, 1890/1910.
Selected images from this work
About this work
Friern Hospital, previously known as Colney Hatch Asylum, a psychiatric hospital, opened in Barnet, North London in July 1851. Initially it held 1,250 patients, but by the time it was renamed as Friern Hospital in 1937, it had been enlarged and held 2,700. The hospital closed c. 1995
Where to find it
album of photographs of Friern Hospital
Location Status AccessClosed stores By appointment Manual request