Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

Dr Marie Stopes and the Marie Stopes Memorial Fund

Date
1920-1994
Reference
SA/EUG/K
Part of
Eugenics Society
  • Archives and manuscripts

About this work

Description

K.1 appears to be the Society's file similar to those for other individuals in Section C: `People'. K.2-36 appear to be papers accumulated by Dr Stopes herself. Among her legacies to the Society were included the Mothers' Clinic at 106 and 108 Whitfield Street, London WC1 and the relevant parts of her library. It seems feasible therefore, that these papers were found either in the Clinic or among the books from her library, and thus came into the custody of the Society. Accession no. 102 was originally contained in box files of a type known to have been used by Dr Stopes for storing her papers. The original arrangement, which appears to be Dr Stopes' own has been retained as far as possible. A few further items were received in Acc 284. To deal with administering Stopes' bequest the society set up the Marie Stopes Memorial Fund. The minute books of its various committees have been placed in this section.

Publication/Creation

1920-1994

Physical description

6 boxes and 1 o/s box

Biographical note

Dr Marie Carmichael Stopes, DSc, PhD, FLS, FGS, FRSL (1880-1958), was the author of several pioneering books on sex and birth control, the most famous of which was Married Love (1918). In 1921 she established the first birth control clinic in the British Empire (The Mothers' Clinic) and founded the Society for Constructive Birth Control (`CBC'). She was a member of the Eugenics Society and a personal friend of Dr C P Blacker (General Secretary, 1931-1952, Secretary, 1952-1961).

Permanent link