Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
An episode in Tristram Shandy: Corporal Trim reading a sermon to Mr. Shandy, Uncle Toby, and Doctor Slop. Etching after L. Sterne.
- Sterne, Laurence, 1713-1768.
- [between 1700 and 1799]
Public Domain Mark
You can use this work for any purpose without restriction under copyright law.
Public Domain Mark (PDM) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0
Selected images from this work
About this work
Dublin (32 Dame Street) : Willm. Allen, [between 1700 and 1799]
1 print : etching ; platemark 17 x 26 cm.
Corporal Trim reading the sermon to Mr. Shandy, Uncle Toby, and Doctor Slop. "(The language is good: and I declare Trim reads very well" quoth my father).
Bears number top right : 2
Wellcome Library no. 22014i
- Slop, Doctor (Fictitious character)
- Trim, Corporal (Fictitious character)
- Uncle Toby (Fictitious character)
- Shandy, Walter (Fictitious character)
- House furnishings |Great Britain –18th century
- Staffs (Sticks, canes, etc.)
- Costume |Great Britain –18th century