A mother appeals to a tuberculosis nurse to save her baby son from tuberculosis. Colour lithograph by N. Rettroni [? name indistinct], 1932.
- Federazione italiana nazionale fascista per la lotta contra la tubercolosi. Consorzi Provinciali Antitubercolari.
Selected images from this work
About this work
The cross with two cross bars, the device of the crusade against tuberculosis, is prominent. It is displayed in red on the garment of the nurse who enters the room, and appears on the lower right, also in red, paired with the red fasces on the left, and surmounting the motto "Viribus unitis" (with forces united). This form of the cross was adopted as the symbol of the fight against tuberculosis on 23 October 1902 at a Berlin conference, on the suggestion of Gilbert Sersiron. It had been the device on the standard of Godfrey of Bouillon, who had placed it on the tower of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem in 1099. Its adoption indicated that the fight against tuberculosis was analogous to a crusade seen from the Christian point of view. Though similar in form, it had no significant connnection with the cross of Lorraine (Information from Thierry Devinck, André Wilquin: publicités, Paris: Agence Culturelle de Paris, Mairie de Paris, 1991, p. 68)