- Part of
- James D. Watson Collection
- Archives and manuscripts
About this work
The Manuscripts series is made up of handwritten and typed manuscripts, typescripts, reprints, articles, correspondence, contracts, book reviews, and illustrations relating to the production of monographs and articles for which James Watson is the primary author. The series contains the following published works: The Double Helix; Molecular Biology of the Gene (1st-5th editions); Molecular Biology of the Cell; The DNA Story; Recombinant DNA: A Short Course (1st and 2nd edition); DNA: The Secret of Life; Genes, Girls and Gamow; and Avoid Boring People (originally entitled Manners For Science). It also includes shorter works such as scientific papers, articles, and essays.
Materials pertinent to the drafting, preparation, and final publication of the work supplement the manuscripts. This information includes correspondence with publishers and peer scientists, research materials, sketches, galleys, comments for revisions, and book reviews.
For manuscripts of Dr. Watson’s CSHL Director’s Reports please see: Institutional Records: Administrative: Director’s Reports (JDW/3/1/1).
For manuscripts of obituaries written by Dr. Watson please see: Personal Papers: Subjects: Biographies and Obituaries (JDW/2/7/1).
For information on the unpublished RNA Tie Club book please see: Personal Papers: Subjects: RNA Tie Club (JDW/2/7/3).
For clippings of articles written by Dr. Watson please see: Personal Papers: Articles and Clippings: By Watson (JDW/2/4/1).
The record group is organized into 14 series:
1. Papers, Articles, and Other Works (1955-2010)
2. Molecular Biology of the Gene, 1st Edition (1963-1969)
3. Molecular Biology of the Gene, 2nd Edition (1966-1978)
4. Molecular Biology of the Gene, 3rd Edition (1967-1987, 1999)
5. Molecular Biology of the Gene, 4th Edition (1978-1999)
6. Molecular Biology of the Gene, 5th Edition (1988-1996)
7. The Double Helix (1966-2010)
8. Molecular Biology of the Cell (1976-1997)
9. The DNA Story (1973-1982)
10. Recombinant DNA, 1st Edition (1973-1994)
11. Recombinant DNA, 2nd Edition (1983-1993)
12. DNA: The Secret of Life (2002-2003)
13. Genes, Girls and Gamow (1950s, 1991-2002)
14. Avoid Boring People (1952-2010)