Insects with the heads of humans assail a bee hive as ministerial bees emerge to defend the Treasury bench. Line block after J. Gillray, 1873.
- Gillray, James, 1756-1815.
About this work
Earl Granville leads the Catholic supporters in the attack on the Treasury as a huge bumble-bee bearing the words 'ambition' and 'envy' on his wings. The Marquis of Buckingham, Sheridan, among others join the attack. Those in defence of the Treasury include Lords Bathurst, Camden, the Earl of Chatham and Arthur Wellesley. The profusion of recognisable portraits from all political sides made this print one of Gillray's most elaborate compositions
- Debts, Public
- Politics, Practical
- Granville, Granville Leveson Gower, Earl, 1773-1846.
- Buckingham, George Nugent Temple Grenville, Marquess of, 1753-1813.
- Pitt, William, 1759-1806.
- Sheridan, Richard Brinsley, 1751-1816.
- Bathurst, Henry Bathurst, Earl, 1762-1834.
- Camden, John Jeffreys Pratt, Marquis of, 1759-1840.
- Chatham, John Pitt, Earl of, 1756-1835.
- Wellington, Arthur Wellesley, Duke of, 1769-1852.
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores