Archive of the British Dietetic Association
- The British Dietetic Association (est.1936)
- Archives and manuscripts
About this work
The collection includes:
- Minutes and papers of the Executive, later called the Council, 1936-2005
- Minutes and papers of Annual General Meetings and General Meetings, 1936-2001, and the Executive Committee, 1953-2000
- Memoranda and articles of association, 1941-2000
- Minutes and papers of the Education Committee, 1947-1996 and the Continuing Education Committee, 1997-2003
- Education, training, qualification, and registration and validation material plus papers on the role of dietetic assistants, 1980s-2006
- Papers relating to refresher courses and study conferences/weeks, 1937-1992
- Material relating to the BDA General and Education Trust, 1950-2002
- Papers of the Rose Simmonds Memorial Fund, 1952-2000, and on the RSMF Awards, 1956-1996
- Annual Accounts and papers of the Finance Committee, 1959-2009
- Papers relating to premises and insurance, 1959-2004
- BDA journal and related correspondence and papers, 1946-1999
- Members' newsletter, 1941-1945 and 1970-2006
- Copies of ADVISER, a BDA magazine, 1970s-1990s
- Papers of branches and specialist and special interest groups of the BDA, 1951-1996
- Material in connection with the Council for Professions Supplementary to Medicine, c.1960-2003
- Papers of the Professional Development Committee, 1969-2002
- Evidence and comments by the BDA on government papers and policy documents of related health organisations, 1970s-1990s
- Publications of the BDA and papers relating to publications and public relations, 1975-1992
- Papers of the Research Committee 1984-2004
- Material relating to various BDA campaigns, notably Food Awareness Week (later Food First), 1986-2005
- Material of the Allied Health Professions Forum, 1987-2002
- Papers on Manpower and Workforce Planning, 1988-2001
- Material on BDA national conferences, 1994-2009, and relating to International Congress of Dietetics, 1991-2002, and papers of the European Federation of the Associations of Dieticians.
Additional papers donated by BDA in November 2019, accessioned as acc no 2494 and containing further records of the organisation.
The Association currently aims to 'inform, protect, represent, and support its 6800+ members'. Most members are qualified dietitians holding a degree or postgraduate diploma recognised for Registration by the Health Professions Council.
The history of the Association is recorded in three volumes which are available to view on the BDA's website. The first volume covers 1936-1961, the second 1961-1986 and the third 1986-2011.