Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

Medical Research Club

  • Medical Research Club
Date
1891-1974
Reference
SA/MRC
  • Archives and manuscripts

About this work

Description

The collection comprises: minute books, 1891-1974; proposal books, 1891-1924; attendance books, 1891-1894; and a centenary history dating from 1991.

Publication/Creation

1891-1974

Physical description

2 boxes

Arrangement

The collection is divided into sections as follows:

1/ minute books, 1891-1974

2/ proposal books, 1891-1924

3/ attendance books, 1891-1984

4/ centenary history, 1992.

Acquisition note

The Medical Research Club gave its records to the Wellcome Library in March 1994.

Biographical note

The Medical Research Club was founded in 1891, for social as much as medical reasons, by London-based pathologists including Sir Almroth Wright and Sir John Bland Sutton. Its main object was the discussion of original work in general and pathological science, and it has always had a strong interest in microbiology, immunology, virology and molecular biology. Members are elected after the presentation of a paper and approval by the rest of the Club. Membership stood at 110 in 1993. Past members have included Sir Henry Dale, Sir Ernst Chain, Sir Charles Sherrington, Sir Howard Florey, Sir Alexander Fleming, Sir Henry Head and Sir Frederick Gowland Hopkins.

Related material

In the Wellcome Library: Further material relating to the Club can be found in the papers of Sir Graham Selby Wilson (PP/GSW). They include agendas 1964-1987, membership booklets 1937-1986, correspondence 1953-1978, notes for and the published version of Wilson's The Medical Research Club. The First Sixty Years 1891-1951 and a manuscript draft of a history of the Club 1951-1976. Sir Ernst Chain's (PP/EBC) papers include some correspondence with the Club. Other related collections include The Physiological Society (SA/PHY), and papers of the following Club members: Sir Henry Head (PP/HEA), Sir Charles Lovatt Evans (PP/CLE), and E.L. Kennaway (PP/ELK)

Location of duplicates

B.1/1-9 Microfilm: Committee minutes 1899-1955 C.1/1-15 Microfim: Scientific meetings minutes 1876-1954

Ownership note

During the period 1970-1994 these records were housed at the Royal Society of Medicine.

Permanent link