Friern Hospital, London: a man, naked, viewed from the waist down with a hernia or growth to the right of his penis. Photograph, 1890/1910.
Where to find it
About this work
Friern Hospital, previously known as Colney Hatch Asylum, a psychiatric hospital, opened in Barnet, North London in July 1851. Initially it held 1,250 patients, but by the time it was renamed as Friern Hospital in 1937, it had been enlarged and held 2,700. The hospital closed c. 1995
1 photograph : photoprint, silver gelatin ; sheet 10.1 x 7.5 cm
Wellcome Library no. 34140i
Folio bears number: 17