The Regent approaching Lady Hertford who is giving birth to fully dressed little men, Perceval (dressed as a nurse) helps them stand up; representing additions to the ministry after the removal of the Regency restrictions. Coloured etching by C. Williams, 1812.
- Williams, Charles, active 1797-1830.
- 30 March 1812
Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
You can use this work for any purpose, including commercial uses, without restriction under copyright law. You should also provide attribution to the original work, source and licence.
Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0
Credit: The Regent approaching Lady Hertford who is giving birth to fully dressed little men, Perceval (dressed as a nurse) helps them stand up; representing additions to the ministry after the removal of the Regency restrictions. Coloured etching by C. Williams, 1812. Credit: Wellcome Collection. Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
Selected images from this work
About this work
The Prince Regent bearing a steaming bowl to Lady Hertford says: "Come my good Lady take another sup and you will be able to bring forth some more", she replies: "Well I'll try! but I hope they won't have such thick heads as the last". Perceval is saying to the little men: "Now my little gentlemen stand up, and do as I bid you, here we go up up up", perhaps refering to Lady Hertford's recommendation of leniency to the Regent regarding government
London (50 Piccadilly) : S.W. Fores, 30 March 1812.
1 print : etching, with watercolour ; platemark 25 x 35.5 cm
An accouchment or lady delivering the present administration.
British Museum, Catalogue of political and personal satires, vol. XI, London 1949, no. 11861
Wellcome Library no. 12208i
- Multiple birth.
- House furnishings |Great Britain –19th century
- Great Britain.
- George IV, King of Great Britain, 1762-1830.
- Perceval, Spencer, 1762-1812.
- Castlereagh, Robert Stewart, Viscount, 1769-1822.
- Sidmouth, Henry Addington, Viscount, 1757-1844.
- Hertford, Francis Charles Seymour-Conway, Marquess of, 1777-1842.
- Canning, George, 1770-1827.
- Wellesley, Richard Wellesley, Marquess, 1760-1842.
- McMahon, John, approximately 1754-1817.
- Hertford, Isabella Anne Ingram-Seymour-Conway, Marchioness of, 1760-1834.