Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

The chemical laboratory of Ambrose Godfrey: : the distilling room. Etching attributed to W.H. Toms after H. Gravelot.

  • Gravelot, Hubert François, 1699-1773
Date
[173-?]
Reference
37025i
  • Pictures
  • Online

Available online

view The chemical laboratory of Ambrose Godfrey: : the distilling room. Etching attributed to W.H. Toms after H. Gravelot.

Licence

Public Domain Mark
You can use this work for any purpose without restriction under copyright law.
Public Domain Mark (PDM) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0
Credit: The chemical laboratory of Ambrose Godfrey: : the distilling room. Etching attributed to W.H. Toms after H. Gravelot. Wellcome Collection. Public Domain Mark

Selected images from this work


About this work

Description

The private laboratory of Godfrey (formerly Hankwitz) was founded by him at the beginning of the 18th century, erected adjacent to his garden in Southampton Street, Strand. It later continued under the name of Godfrey & Cooke, until 1863, when the Roman Catholic church Corpus Christi was built on its site. Godfrey had been Robert Boyle's assistant and continued his researches. He was Master of the laboratory in the Apothecaries Hall. From his private laboratory he supplied the apothecaries of London. His chief activity consisted in the investigation of the spa waters; among other things he prepared sulphuric ether

Publication/Creation

[Place of publication not identified] : [publisher not identified], [173-?]

Physical description

1 print : etching

References note

Richard B. Pilcher, 'Boyle's laboratory', Ambix, 1938, 2:17-20

Reference

Wellcome Library no. 37025i

Type/Technique



Where to find it

  • LocationStatusAccess
    Closed stores

Permanent link