The school of Athens: a gathering of Greek philosophers disputing with Saint Paul the Apostle. Engraving by G. Ghisi, 1550, after Raphael.
- Raphael, 1483-1520.
Selected images from this work
About this work
The lettering interprets the subject as Saint Paul among the philosophers of Athens, according to Acts of the Apostles XVII.18-19: "Then certain philosophers of the Epicureans, and of the Stoicks, encountered him. And some said, What will this babbler say? other some, He seemeth to be a setter forth of strange gods: because he preached unto them Jesus, and the resurrection. And they took him, and brought him unto Areopagus, saying, May we know what this new doctrine, whereof thou speakest, is?"
- Athens (Greece)
- Paul, the Apostle, Saint.
- Bramante, Donato, 1444?-1514.
- Aristotle, 384 B.C.-322 B.C.
- Averroës, 1126-1198.
- Diogenes, -approximately 323 B.C.
- Heraclitus, of Ephesus.
- Ptolemy, active 2nd century.
- Socrates, 469 B.C.-399 B.C.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti, 1475-1564.
- Leonardo, da Vinci, 1452-1519.
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores Open Online request