Gate of the Hospital of the Knights of St. John of Jerusalem, Clerkenwell, London, surrounded by thatched domestic buildings. Engraving after W. Hollar.
- Hollar, Wenceslaus, 1607-1677.
Selected images from this work
About this work
This is the only surviving portion of the English Priory of St John of Jerusalem, the order of Knights Hospitallers founded in the 12th century. During the eighteenth century Edward Cave printed the Gentleman's Magazine here, and Samuel Johnson later composed part of his Dictionary. Since 1874 the building has been used by the Most Venerable Order of St John of Jerusalem. The St John's Ambulance Service started here in 1877