Twenty illustrious Irishmen. Coloured lithograph after J. Donaghy, 18--.
- Donaghy, John, 1838-1931.
- [between 1840? and 1900]
About this work
They are gathered in a rotunda supported by Ionic columns between which are openings showing episodes in Irish history and myth. Left to right: Patrick Sarsfield, standing, directed to the right, looking at the viewer, wearing armour and lace cravat; St Oliver Plunket and King Brian Boru standing in the back; John Philpot Curran and Thomas Davis seated at the front; Hugh O'Neill, wearing armour, with long beard, seated; Oliver Goldsmith seated in profile to left; Thomas Moore seated at the front with his left arm on a table, holding a paper; the two churchmen John MacHale, Roman Catholic archbishop of Tuam, and Father Theobald Mathew standing in the centre behind the table; Daniel O'Connell seated on an armchair at the front, turning to look at the viewer, holding a book over his knees; Theobald Wolfe Tone and Edmund Burke standing behind, both of them directed and looking to the right; Robert Emmet standing at the front, face turned looking to left, his left hand in his waistcoat; Richard Lalor Shiel standing in the back, directed and looking to right; Henry Grattan at the front, seated, directed to the right, a book on the floor next to his chair, facing Father Thomas Burke O.P., seated directed to left and holding a bible; Gerald Griffin standing in the back; William Smith O'Brien standing next to him, in profile to left; and John Mitchel on the far right, standing, at the front, with moustache and beard, looking at the viewer
- Brian, King of Ireland, 926-1014.
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797.
- Burke, Thomas Nicholas, 1830-1883.
- Curran, John Philpot, 1750-1817.
- Davis, Thomas, 1814-1845.
- Emmet, Robert, 1778-1803.
- Goldsmith, Oliver, 1730?-1774.
- Grattan, Henry, 1746-1820.
- Griffin, Gerald, 1803-1840.
- McHale, John, 1791-1881.
- Mathew, Theobald, 1790-1856.
- Mitchel, John, 1815-1875.
- Moore, Thomas, 1779-1852.
- O'Brien, William Smith, 1803-1864.
- O'Connell, Daniel, 1775-1847.
- Sheil, Richard Lalor, 1791-1851.
- Tone, Theobald Wolfe, 1763-1798.
- Tyrone, Hugh O'Neill, Earl of, 1540?-1616.
- Plunket, Oliver, Saint, 1629-1681.
- Sarsfield, Patrick, Earl of Lucan, -1693.
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores