The bones of a hand with a ring on one finger, viewed through x-ray. Photoprint from radiograph by W.K. Röntgen, 1895.
- Röntgen, Wilhelm Conrad, 1845-1923
Selected images from this work
About this work
The hand is possibly the hand of Röntgen's wife, photographed on 22nd December 1895
The print is from one of the first radiographs (x-ray photographs) made by the German physicist, Wilhelm Konrad Röntgen (1845-1923). Röntgen discovered the electro-magnetic rays he named "x-rays" (also known as "Röntgen rays") in Würzburg in November 1895. Röntgen mailed this and other prints to, among others, the British physicist Sir Arthur Schuster, along with an offprint of his article "Über eine neue Art von Strahlen" (1895). Dr Nora H. Schuster, Sir Arthur's daughter, presented the prints to the Wellcome Institute Library in 1962
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores