Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
Healing the African body : British medicine in West Africa, 1800-1860 / John Rankin.
- Rankin, John, Ph. D.
Where to find it
About this work
Columbia : University of Missouri Press, 
x, 245 pages : illustrations ; 23 cm
The ideas of race and medicine -- British and West African health care -- British missionaries and the health of Africans -- African and European health in the West African squadron -- Appendix. Percentage of Royal Navy ship personnel entered onto the sick list.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 199-238) and index.
- Medicine |Africa, West History 19th century
- Medical care |Africa, West History 19th century
- British |Africa, West History 19th century
- British |Africa, West History 19th century Attitudes.
- Health and race |Africa, West History 19th century
- Imperialism and science |Africa, West History 19th century
- Delivery of Health Care |history.
- African Continental Ancestry Group.
- Race Relations |history.
- History, 19th Century.
- 19th century
- Africa, Western.
- Great Britain.
- Africa, West |History 19th century
- Great Britain |Colonies Africa, West History 19th century