The circumcision of Christ. Engraving by F-G. Aliamet, 1765, after R. Earlom after G. Reni.
- Reni, Guido, 1575-1642.
- 1 May 1765
Selected images from this work
About this work
Bible. N.T. Luke 2.21. The circumcision scene has a wide reaching symbolic resonance: it shows the first shedding of the blood of Christ, hence the beginning of the Passion; it is the moment Christ is named; furthermore it displays the Judaism through which Christianity must pass
- Circumcision |Religious aspects –Judaism
- Blood |Religious aspects
- Judaism |Customs and practices
- Surgical instruments and apparatus
- Infants in the Bible
- Church buildings
- Rites and ceremonies
- Surgery, Operative
- Leicester, Peter, Sir, 1732-1770 |Art collections
- Jesus Christ |Circumcision.
- Joseph, Saint.
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint.
- Temple of Jerusalem (Jerusalem)