In the battle against tuberculosis, a portrait of Calmette, as the saviour of children through his BCG vaccine, invites the purchase of fund-raising stamps. Colour lithograph after H. Cheffer, 1934.
- Cheffer, Henri Lucien, 1880-1957.
Selected images from this work
About this work
In the upper part of the poster, the stamp is reproduced, much enlarged: it shows a reproduction of an engraved portrait of Calmette, and the edges simulate the serrated edges of the stamp
The red cross with two crossbars had been since 1902 the symbol of the battle against tuberculosis: it was adopted on 23 October 1902 at a Berlin conference on the suggestion of Gilbert Sersiron. It had been the device on the standard of Godfrey of Bouillon, who had placed it on the tower of the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem in 1099. Its adoption indicated that the fight against tuberculosis was analogous to a crusade seen from the Christian point of view. Though similar in form, it had no connnection with the cross of Lorraine. Information from Thierry Devinck, André Wilquin: publicités, Paris: Agence Culturelle de Paris, Mairie de Paris, 1991, p. 68