Personalities of 1890. Colour lithograph, 1890.
- Nov.r 29 1890
About this work
In the front row, three groups of people. Left, a conversation between people active in horseracing: James Weatherby (racing administration), Sir Robert Jardine (Jardine Matheson; racehorse owner), Lord Hartington (subsequently 8th Duke of Devonshire; horse-breeder), Major Egerton (George Mark Leycester Egerton, official of the Jockey Club), and Edmund Tattersall (auctioneer of racehorses). Centre, three royal persons: H.R.H. Prince George of Wales (later King George V), the Duke of Orleans (Henri d'Orléans, Duke of Aumale), and Prince Arthur (Duke of Connaught). Right, three people involved in Irish affairs: Dr Charles Kearns Deane Tanner (Irish surgeon and politician), T.P. O'Connor (Irish author and parliamentary sketch writer), and Mr Justice Smith (Archibald Levin Smith, judge and chairman of a committee set up to investigate Parnell)
On a stage behind are three groups of people representing arts, sciences, theatre and music. Left, Leslie Ward (artist, called Spy), in an artist's studio sketching Louis Pasteur (chemist, holding rabbits), although this portrait of Pasteur was by T. Chartran, not by Spy. Centre, musicians: Señor Sarasate (Pablo de Sarasate, violinist). Sims Reeves (tenor). George Grossmith (comedian and author). Overlapping music and theatre, Henry Irving (actor), playing an 18th century role. Right, theatricals: Arthur Cecil (actor, as portrayed in 1889 by Spy but facing the other way), John Hare (actor and manager of the Garrick Theatre), Herbert Beerbohm Tree (actor-manager), Augustus Harris (man of the theatre, in box office)
Far right, Rt Hon. W.H. Smith (newsagent and Conservative MP), seated on stage but with his feet at the lower level because involved in boith entertainment and in politics
- Weatherby, James, active approximately 1890.
- Jardine, Robert, Sir, 1868-1927.
- Devonshire, Spencer Compton Cavendish, Duke of, 1833-1908.
- Egerton, George Mark Leycester, 1837-1898.
- Tattersall Edmund, -1898.
- George V, King of Great Britain, 1865-1936.
- Aumale, Henri d'Orléans, duc d', 1822-1897.
- Arthur, Prince, Duke of Connaught, 1850-1942.
- Tanner, Charles Kearns Deane, 1850-1907.
- O'Connor, T. P. (Thomas Power), 1848-1929.
- Smith, Archibald Levin, 1836-1901.
- Ward, Leslie, Sir, 1851-1922.
- Pasteur, Louis, 1822-1895.
- Sarasate, Pablo de, 1844-1908.
- Reeves, Sims, 1818-1900.
- Grossmith, George, 1847-1912.
- Irving, Henry, Sir, 1838-1905.
- Cecil, Arthur, 1843-1896.
- Hare, John, 1844-1921.
- Tree, Herbert Beerbohm, Sir, 1852-1917.
- Harris, Augustus, Sir, 1852-1896.
- Smith, W. H. (William Henry), 1825-1891.