English Language Autograph Letters: DO-DR
Where to find it
About this work
1. Two notes written by George Dolland, 1846.
2. Letter from Peter Dolland to his grandson George, originally enclosed with a gift of a telescope strong enough to see the satellites of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn, n.d.
3. Three letters from David Don, all written from the Linnean Society, Soho: to Phillips, 9 October 1827; to an unnamed gentleman, 4 May 1836; and to the surgeon John Flint Smith, 30 December 1837. One letter written to Don by the German botanist Martine, Munich, 20 July 1840.
4. Letter from George Don to Mr. Shepherd, Superintendent of the Liverpool Botanic Gardens, proposing an exchange of plants, Forfar, 23 December 1807.
5. Letter to John William Donaldson from William Smith, London, 10 March 1858. Plus Donaldson's signature.
6. Letter from John Doran to Mrs Frith, Ramsgate, 21 July 1874; and note to Doran from James R. Anderson, London, 20 October 1873.
7. Two letters written by Sir John Dorratt to unnamed recipients, n.d.
8. Letter from Arthur Dorin to his cousin Mrs. Bennet, about his experiences as a doctor in the Franco-Prussian war, 1 December 1870.
9. Letter from Edward Doubleday to an unnamed recipient regarding an article in the Medical and Physical Journal describing a successful case of transfusion, 22 December 1837.
10. Letter from David Douglas to Mr. Murray of the Royal Botanic Garden, Monteray, Upper California, 24 November 1831.
11. Letter from George Downing to J. Luke, 24 November 1853.
12. Letter from Hugh Downman to Messrs. Robinson, Booksellers, about his publications, Exeter, 24 December 1779.
13. Letter from Nathan Drake to William Davies, of Cadell & Davies Booksellers, Hadleigh, 21 July 1811.
14. Postcard from Henry Draper to Professor Charles Augustus Young, 3 March 1857.
15. Four letters from Robert Druitt to: the Royal College of Surgeons Library, 24 October 1846 (written in the third person); Thomas Madden Stone, 29 January 1869; to James Shuter, 20 July 1882; and to an unnamed recipient, n.d.
16. Letter from James Drummond to Edward Charlesworth, Longman & Co Publishers, regarding his articles for Natural History magazine, Belfast, 24 September 1838.
17. Note from Thomas Drummond to Dr. J. Thompson, n.d.
18. Letter from Jonas Dryander to the French Academy of Sciences, London, 24 December 1790.
1. Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56474).
2. Purchased from Sotheby's, London, February 1931 (acc.56327).
3. Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56485), and November 1931 (acc.68279); from Glendining, London, February 1935 (acc.68424); and Mrs. Watson, Burnley, March 1945 (acc.72200), presumably once part of the Thomas Madden Stone autograph collection.
4. Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56483).
5. Purchased from Stevens, London, September 1928 (acc.77461); and Mrs. Watson, Burnley, March 1945 (acc.72200).
6. Purchased from Stevens, London, July 1930 (acc.56545); and Mrs. Watson, Burnley, March 1945 (acc.72200).
7. Transferred from Wellcome Historical Medical Museum, c.1939 (acc.91800); and purchased from Charavay, Paris, October 1928 / April 1929 (acc.63700).
8. Purchased from Stevens, London, August 1928 (acc.77597).
9. Transferred from Wellcome Historical Medical Museum, c.1939 (acc.91800).
10. Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56483).
11. Purchased from Mrs. Watson, Burnley, March 1945 (acc.72200).
12. Purchased from Das Jain, Lahore, March 1936 (acc.69714).
13.Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56474)..
14. Purchased from Stevens, London, August 1930 (acc.63313).
15. Transferred from Wellcome Historical Medical Museum, c.1939 (acc.91800); and purchased from Mrs. Watson, Burnley, March 1945 (acc.72200).
16. Purchased from Hodgson's, London, November 1905 (acc.92289).
17. Purchased from Stevens, London, March 1931 (acc.56483).
18. Purchased from Desgranges, Paris, July 1934 (acc.67124).
1. George Dolland (1774-1852), English optician, and nephew of Peter Dolland.
2. Peter Dolland (1730-1820), English optician.
3. David Don (1800-1841), English botanist, and Fellow of the Linnean Society.
4. George Don (1798-1856), English botanist, and collector on behalf of the Royal Society.
5. John William Donaldson (1811-1861), philologist.
6. John Doran (1807-1878), writer.
7. Sir John Dorratt (d.1863), surgeon.
8. Arthur Dorin (fl.1870).
9. Edward Doubleday (1811-1849), entomologist, and assistant in the British Museum.
10. David Douglas (1798-1834), botanist and traveller.
11. George Downing (fl. 1853), surgeon.
12. Hugh Downman (1740-1809), physician and poet.
13. Nathan Drake (1766-1836), physician and essayist.
14. Henry Draper (1837-1882), American atronomer.
15. Robert Druitt (1814-1883), medical writer.
16. James Drummond (1783-1853), anatomist.
17. Thomas Drummond (d.1835), botanical collector.
18. Jonas Dryander (1748-1810), Swedish naturalist.