St John's Gate, Clerkenwell, London: the north side. Watercolour by R. Rushen.
- Rushen, R.
Selected images from this work
About this work
This is the only surviving portion of the English Priory of St John of Jerusalem, the order of Knights Hospitallers founded in the twelfth century. During the early eighteenth century Edward Cave printed the Gentleman's Magazine here, later Samuel Johnson composed part of his Dictionary. Since 1874 the building has been used by the Most Venerable Order of St John of Jerusalem. The St John's Ambulance service started here in 1877
On the left of the archway in this painting is a luncheon room, with two men standing outside. At the right are the premises of W. C. Cav... [?], with a horse, an open carriage and a man wearing a top hat
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores