All in search of health should wear Harness' electropathic belts : scientifically constructed for new life and vigor / C.B. Harness.
- Harness, C. B.
Selected images from this work
About this work
This is a full colour, chromolitho magazine insert (a single sheet advertisement printed separately then bound in with the magazine at the publisher's) issued in about 1890 by the Electropathic & Zander Institute (which offered electricity based therapies, founded by Cornelius Bennett Harness in 1885), based above the Medical Battery Company’s showrooms at 52, Oxford Street, London, both of which are illustrated towards the foot of the advertisement. It advertises their Electropathic Belts. Electricity was something new and strange to the general public and was seized upon in many ways for commercial and therapeutic purposes. The belts were supposed to generate new life and vigor... for weak men, for delicate women as well as cure nervousness, debility, sleeplessness, rheumatism, sciatica, lumbago, torpid liver, organic weakness and kindred ailments but actually produced no sensation whatsoever, despite testimonies from Dr. Herbert Tibbits and Dr. Arthur Harries on the reverse. They were supposed to be charged by being plugged into a device incorporating a magnet. A combination of disreputable retail practices and the fact that their electropathic belts did not work, increasingly embroiled the Company in litigation until a compulsory winding up order was handed to them in 1894.
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed storesEPH131 Location AccessClosed storesEPH131:2