The fourth annual report of the committee for Clapton and Darenth Asylums for imbecile children, to 31st December, 1878.
- Metropolitan District Asylum at Clapton.
Public Domain Mark
You can use this work for any purpose without restriction under copyright law.
Public Domain Mark (PDM) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0
About this work
Also known as
Annual report. 1878
London : printed by McCorquodale & Co., 1879.
52 pages ; 20 cm
It had been decided in 1873 to separate children from adult lunatics in the Hampstead Asylum and Leavesden Asylum. To this end, the former London Orphan Asylum in Clapton was subsequently rented for 3 years at the end of 1874 as a temporary asylum. Land in Darenth, near Dartford Kent was bought in 1875 and building began on the erection of the new school buildings, capable of housing 500 children. The transfer took place in 1878, vacating the premises in Clapton. Due to heavy demand accomodation for adult lunatics was also included
The asylums are referred to variously as: "Clapton and Darenth Asylum", "Clapton and Darenth Asylums for Imbecile Children", "Clapton and Darenth Schools and Asylum", "The Darenth Schools", "School for Imbecile Children, Darenth, Kent" and "Metropolitan District School and Asylum for Imbeciles, Darenth"
Consists of a list of the Committee of Management, the report of the Committee of Management (Edmund Hay Currie, chairman), the report of the medical superintendent (Fletcher Beach), statistical tables, the report of the chaplain (W.H. Langhorne), report of the steward (A. Keaton Gower), report of the matron (Agnes Gower), report of the schoolmistress (M.J. Stephens) and the report of the Commissioners in Lunacy (Charles Palmer Phillips, John D. Cleaton).
Copy 1 Note: Bound with reports covering 1875-82, (publ. 1876-83) and a copy of the 1876-77 Caterham Asylum report X190656