Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

St. Albans Medical Club

  • St Albans Medical Club
Date
1789-1990
Reference
MSS.6216 & 6994-7017
  • Archives and manuscripts

About this work

Description

Administrative records of the St. Albans Medical Club. Largely financial, but including some correspondence and photographs of members.

Publication/Creation

1789-1990

Physical description

25 volumes

Acquisition note

MS.6216 deposited by the St. Albans Medical Club, 1977 (acc.327107); the remaining material deposited by the Club in 1993 (acc.349126).

Biographical note

The St Albans Medical Club was a London dining club which met until 1797 at the St Albans Tavern, near Pall Mall. Until 1832 the Club's membership was restricted to five physicians, five surgeons and five apothecaries.

For further historical background see John Bull, History of the St Albans Medical Club, pamphlet, 6 unnumbered leaves, 1967; Robin Price, "St Albans Medical Club Treasurer's book 1798-1820", Journal of the International Food and Wine Society 1979, 6 (1): 7-12.

Finding aids

Database description taken from that in: Richard Palmer, Catalogue of Western Manuscripts in the Wellcome Library for the History & Understanding of Medicine: Western Manuscripts 5120-6244 (London: The Wellcome Library for the History & Understanding of Medicine, 1999); and in typescript supplements, by Christopher Hilton and Richard Aspin, to the Library's published finding aids.

Languages

  • English

Permanent link