Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
The church and hospital of Savoy, London: bird's-eye view from Southwark. Engraving by G. Vertue, 1750, after himself, 1736.
- Vertue, George, 1684-1756.
- 29 November 1753
Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)
You can use this work for any purpose, including commercial uses, without restriction under copyright law. You should also provide attribution to the original work, source and licence.
Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0
Selected images from this work
About this work
London : Society of Antiquaries, 29 November 1753.
1 print : engraving ; image and border 28.6 x 43.9 cm
A view of the Savoy from the River Thames. ; Drawn with the plan of the place by G. V. in 1736; and published at the expence of the Antiquary Society, London, 1750.
B. Adams, London illustrated, London, 1983, number 32/10 [p.86]
B. Weinreb and C. Hibbert, The London encyclopaedia, London, 1983, p. 773
Wellcome Library no. 39982i
Lettering continues: "In the year 1245 Peter Earl of Savoy built a palace in the Strand, and gave it to the fraternity of Montjoy; of whom it was purchased by Eleanor, Queen to King Henry III, for her son Edmond Earl of Lancaster. It was afterwards repaired, or rather new built, by Henry Duke of Lancaster, at the expence of 52000 Marks. In 1357 John the French King was imprison'd there; and in 1363 came over again as a visitor, and there died. In 1381 that Palace being burnt down by the rebels of Kent and Essex, lay in ruins till the reign of King Henry VII; when it was rebuilt in a beautiful manner for an hospital to releive poor pilgrims, strangers, and children, and dedicated to St. John Baptist, about the year 1509. But that hospital being afterwards suppressed by King Edward VI, a little before his death, was refounded and indowed with lands by Queen Mary in 1557. Upon the accession of Queen Elizabeth the chapel was converted into a church for the use of the parish."
The title lettering is in a banderole in the sky area of the print