Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End, Stratford: opening of buildings by Queen Mary and others. Photographs, ca. 1921-1924.

  • Stanyforth, Ronald Thomas, 1892-1964.
  • Pictures

About this work


The Hospital was founded as West Ham Dispensary in 1861. Opened as the West Ham and Eastern General Hospital in 1890. Extended in 1895. Granted a Royal charter in 1917 as Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End. Managed by Newham Health District as an acute hospital until its closure in 1974



Physical description

1 photograph album (31 leaves, 57 photographs) : photoprints ; album pages approximately 27 x 37 cm


Fols. 1-7: thirteen photographs headed 'Opening, Convalescent Home, "Theydon Towers." By H.R.H. Princess Mary, 5th. May 1921.' The Princess is shown emerging from her car, striding through a group of girl guides, having various individuals introduced to her, and inspecting rows of nurses. Three of the pictures show her standing next to the bed of a dejected boy beside his large teddy bear on wheels
Fols. 8-15r: eighteen photographs of the 'Opening of the "Margaret Lyle" Maternity Wing by The Countess Pembroke & Montgomery and The Laying of the Foundation Stone of the New Out-patient Department (West Ham War Memorial) by Alderman Will Thorne, M.P. 16th. April 1923.' Includes two pictures of the presentation of gold and silver medals to nurses by Lady Lyle. Also the laying and blessing of the foundation stone (war memorial). Including large crowd scenes, with four of the photographs, each 24 x 29 cm., showing dignitaries on a covered platform, one with Grenadier Guards in the background
Fols 15v-21v: thirteen photographs of the 'Visit of Their Majesties The King & Queen to the "Margaret Lyle" Maternity Wing 9th. June, 1923.' One photograph shows the royal couple's car arriving past crowds at the hospital gates. Including three photographs of the king and queen standing beside children's cots, and six of them, with Lyle, inspecting rows of nurses in hospital grounds
Fols. 22r-23v: three photographs of the 'Opening of the Nurses' Home by H.R.H. Prince Henry, K.G. 13th. October 1923.' With bishop and boy scouts. Including a large photograph of a 'Group of Staff taken on the occasion of The Opening of the Nurses' Home by His Royal Highness Prince Henry, K.G. 13th. October 1923.' The nurses, in uniform, are arranged in four rows around the seated prince
Fol. 24v: 'photograph taken at an informal gathering of Members of the General Committee to congratulate Sir Leonard Lyle, J.P., upon the honour of Knighthood conferred upon him the same day July 25th. 1923.'
Fol. 25r: photograph, 'The Staff of Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End. A Group taken December, 1922.'
Fols. 26v-28r: seven photographs of crowd scenes at the 'Opening of the New Out-Patient Department West Ham's War Memorial by H. R. Highness Prince Henry, at 11 o'clock on Armistice Day, November 11th. 1924'
Fol. 24r: autograph letter signed, 2 pp, 18 lines of text, to Lyle from the England test cricketer Major Ronald Stanyforth (1892-1964), signed 'Ronald Stanyforth Equerry'. Dated 16 October 1923; on letterhead of Kirk Hammerton Hall. York. Writing on behalf of Prince Henry, he says 'It must have been very disappointing after all the trouble you have taken, not to be there on the actual fulfilment of your scheme.'
Fols. 25v-26r: typed letter signed, 2 pp, with mourning border, 18 lines of text, to Lyle from Baron Stamfordham, private secretary to King George V. The king and queen 'are so delighted to think that their visit [...] will have done good - [...] The King told me he thought the Maternity Hospital was the most perfect thing of the sort he had ever seen.' Brief reference to 'the recovery of the War Medals of the old soldier, Edward Gilman'

Lettering note

Album has stamped in gilt on the front 'Queen Mary's Hospital for the East End. Presented to Sir Leonard Lyle, M.P., J.P. Chairman',


Wellcome Library no. 666482i


  • English

Where to find it

Permanent link