Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.
Search for free, downloadable images taken from our library and museum collections, including paintings, illustrations, photos and more.
Birth in the age of AIDS : women, reproduction, and HIV/AIDS in India / Cecilia Van Hollen.
- Van Hollen, Cecilia Coale
Where to find it
About this work
Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, 
xii, 274 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Prologue : into the well and out again -- Birth in the age of AIDS -- India responds to the epidemic -- "The HIV test is like an immunization" : scenes from prenatal HIV counseling -- "I don't need my husband's permission?" : women's views on HIV/AIDS and decisions about prenatal testing -- HIV/AIDS and the gendering of stigma -- To birth or not to birth? : constraints and pragmatics in HIV-positive women's childbearing decisions -- HIV-positive women give birth : deception and determination -- Breast or bottle? : HIV-positive women's responses to global health policy on infant feeding -- Creating a storm : activists' hopes and mothers' fears -- Epilogue : memory boxes.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 253-264) and index.
- AIDS (Disease) in pregnancy |India.
- HIV-positive women |Services for –India.
- Childbirth |Social aspects –India.
- HIV Infections |transmission
- Pregnancy Complications, Infectious
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome |transmission
- Infectious Disease Transmission, Vertical |prevention & control
- Perinatal Care
- Pregnant Women