Birth in the age of AIDS : women, reproduction, and HIV/AIDS in India / Cecilia Van Hollen.
- Van Hollen, Cecilia Coale
Where to find it
About this work
Stanford, California : Stanford University Press, 
xii, 274 pages : illustrations ; 24 cm
Prologue : into the well and out again -- Birth in the age of AIDS -- India responds to the epidemic -- "The HIV test is like an immunization" : scenes from prenatal HIV counseling -- "I don't need my husband's permission?" : women's views on HIV/AIDS and decisions about prenatal testing -- HIV/AIDS and the gendering of stigma -- To birth or not to birth? : constraints and pragmatics in HIV-positive women's childbearing decisions -- HIV-positive women give birth : deception and determination -- Breast or bottle? : HIV-positive women's responses to global health policy on infant feeding -- Creating a storm : activists' hopes and mothers' fears -- Epilogue : memory boxes.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 253-264) and index.
- AIDS (Disease) in pregnancy |India.
- HIV-positive women |Services for –India.
- Childbirth |Social aspects –India.
- HIV Infections |transmission
- Pregnancy Complications, Infectious
- Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome |transmission
- Infectious Disease Transmission, Vertical |prevention & control
- Perinatal Care
- Pregnant Women