Canton (Guangzhou), Kwangtung province, China: the abbot at the Temple of five hundred gods. Photograph by John Thomson, 1869.
- Thomson, J. (John), 1837-1921.
Selected images from this work
About this work
Two elderly men standing in a garden of potted plants. The man on the left is short, bearded and wears a hat, the other is tall, bald, clean-shaven, and bespectacled. Each holds a fan in his right hand and beads in his left. Two negatives combined on one plate
This is the private courtyard at the 'Temple of Five Hundred Gods' or 'Magnificent Forest Temple in Guangzhou. Situated in the western suburbs of the city, it was thought to be have been founded by Bodhidharama, a 6th-century Buddhist missionary from India. The man on the right is the abbot. As a guest of an official of the local Customs office, the photographer John Thomson was well received at the temple and shown to the abbot's private quarters. This courtyard, according to Thomson, was adorned with a variety of rare and beautiful flowers, including a splendid specimen of the sacred lotus. The abbot was devoted to the plants, and pleased to share his fondness for flowers with his foreign guest
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores By appointment Manual request
NoteThis item needs to be accessed in our conservation studio. Please consult the digitised version. Email email@example.com to request an appointment