Royal Naval Hospital barge marked 'H.C.4' on the front, North Russian Expeditionary Force, May 1918 to October 1919? Photograph from glass negative, ca. 1919.
About this work
Negative number 1201/1202 in Knapp's original exhibition list
The North Russian Expeditionary Force were sent to Marmoska in Russia to prevent the further transfer of German troops to the western frontier following the German and Russian peace agreement March 1918. Hospital barges were used to ferry the wounded between clearing stations
Print taken from one of a series of glass negatives collected by Surgeon Commander Montague Henry Knapp, Hon. Director of the Naval Medical Section of the Imperial War Museum which were used in an exhibition about the sick and wounded on board men or war of various types in Royal Naval Hospital ships, ambulance trains and hospitals. Correspondence in the Wellcome Archives indicates that Knapp (as Hon. Director and organiser for the IWM) was involved in the transfer of surplus naval and military medical material from the Imperial War Museum to the Wellcome Historical Medical Museum, in setting up exhibits, and in acquiring other materials for the Wellcome collections. Material specifically relating to Knapp's activities in setting up the Naval Warfare Section in the Imperial War Museum have been transferred to the IWM.