Juno (?) holding thunderbolts over a stormy sea presides over a monument adorned with eight portraits of English seamen in roundels. Engraving by A. Smith and J. Newton, 1795, after R. Smirke.
- Smirke, Robert, 1752-1845.
- April 10 1795
About this work
Also known as
Humphrey Gilbert, explorer of the north-west passage over America and claimant to Newfoundland; Thomas Cavendish, circumnavigator 1586-1588; Martin Frobisher, privateer, officer in the fleet against the Spanish Armada and explorer of the north-west passage over America; Sir John Hawkins, Treasurer of the British Navy; Sir Francis Drake and George Clifford, 3rd earl of Cumberland, both commanders in the fleet against the Spanish Armada; Sir Walter Raleigh, explorer of the Americas and circumnavigator; Charles Howard (second Baron Howard of Effingham and first earl of Nottingham), Lord admiral of England
- Gilbert, Humphrey, Sir, 1539?-1583.
- Cavendish, Thomas, 1560-1592.
- Frobisher, Martin, Sir, approximately 1535-1594.
- Hawkins, John, Sir, 1532-1595.
- Drake, Francis, approximately 1540-1596.
- Cumberland, George Clifford, Earl of, 1558-1605.
- Raleigh, Walter, Sir, 1552?-1618.
- Nottingham, Charles Howard, Earl of, approximately 1536-1624.
- Juno (Roman deity)