The presentation of the young Virgin Mary at the Temple. Engraving by B. Eredi after F. Zuccaro.
- Zuccaro, Federico, approximately 1540-1609.
About this work
According to the Protoevangelium of James, the parents of the Virgin, Joachim and Anne, presented her as a child in the temple at Jerusalem as a thank-offering after years of childlessness. The young Virgin (older than the three years attributed to her in the Protoevangelium), is given to the Temple by her mother. Zacharias receives her at the top of the steps; musclebound men surround the entrance
- Women in Christianity
- Rites and ceremonies
- Women in Judaism
- Christian saints
- JudaismCustoms and practices
- Mothers and daughters
- Muscle strength
- Mary, Blessed Virgin, Saint.
- Anne (Mother of the Virgin Mary), Saint.
- Zacharias, the priest, father of John the Baptist.
- Temple of Jerusalem (Jerusalem)
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores