Foochow, Fukien province, China: the foreign settlement. Photograph by John Thomson, 1870/1871.
- Thomson, J. (John), 1837-1921.
Selected images from this work
About this work
View of Fouzhou (Foochow) city from a height showing the foreign settlement in the foreground. Many moored ships in the middle ground
Although Fuzhou was one of the five ports made open to foreign residents by the Treaty of Nanjing in 1842, another decade passed before the city finally entered into trade with foreign countries. Its chief export was tea, and in 1863 over 50 million pounds of it were exported from Fuzhou. Money brought a flood of foreign traders to the city, and a great number of foreign missionaries were also active in the area. By the time of John Thomson’s visit, Fuzhou’s foreign settlement was well established, boasting an excellent club, library and racket court. The settlement is built on the south bank of the River Min, separated from the main city by a bridge and a small island. It has a mixture of Chinese and European-style houses
Where to find it
Location Status AccessClosed stores By appointment Manual request
NoteThis item needs to be accessed in our conservation studio. Please consult the digitised version. Email email@example.com to request an appointment