BetaThis search tool is in development. Find out more.
Pictures

Qasr al-'Ayni Hospital and Medical School, Cairo: design for new buildings. Gouache after J. T. Cackett & R. Burns Dick, 1922.

Cackett & Burns Dick.
Date
[1922]

Available online

view Qasr al-'Ayni Hospital and Medical School, Cairo: design for new buildings. Gouache after J. T. Cackett & R. Burns Dick, 1922.
View

License

Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)

You can use this work for any purpose, including commercial uses, without restriction under copyright law. You should also provide attribution to the original work, source and licence.

Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY 4.0) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0

Credit: Qasr al-'Ayni Hospital and Medical School, Cairo: design for new buildings. Gouache after J. T. Cackett & R. Burns Dick, 1922. Credit: Wellcome Collection. Attribution 4.0 International (CC BY 4.0)


About this work

Description

Aerial view with, as a vignette, a perspective from the other side of the bridge This drawing was produced as part of the submission for a limited competition, arranged by the Egyptian Government, for a hospital of 1,225 beds to be built on Rodah Island in the Nile at Cairo. Details of the competition, assessor John William Simpson PRIBA, may be found in the Builder, 15 April 1921. The competition was won by C. Nicholas and J. E. Dixon-Spain, result announced in the Builder, 16 March 1923. It seems that the winning design was never built Qasr al-'Ayni means the palace of al-'Ayni; al-'Ayni is a personal name

Lettering

Design for Qasr-el-Aini Hospital and Medical School Cairo. View over Mohammed Ali bridge

Publication/Creation

[1922]

Physical description

1 painting : gouache ; sheet 56.5 x 86.7 cm

Reference

Wellcome Library no. 26479i

Creator/production credits

Attribution from auction catalogue, in which the present work appears among others from the firm of Cackett & Burns Dick of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The firm was founded by James Thoburn Cackett (1860-1928) who was in partnership from 1896 with Robert Burns Dick (1869-1955). The practice continued as Cackett Burns Dick and MacKellar, and later as R.N. MacKellar and Partners. It designed the Laing Art Gallery (1900) and other buildings in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, and, after World War I, airship-hangars in Cardington, Beds. See A. Stuart Gray, Edwardian architecture, London 1985, p. 133

Type/Technique

Language

  • English


Where to find it


Identifiers


We’re improving the information on this page. Find out more.