Find thousands of books, manuscripts, visual materials and unpublished archives from our collections, many of them with free online access.

Glasgow: the Royal Infirmary, the cathedral, and Barony Church. Line engraving by J. Swan after J. Knox.

  • Knox, James, 1866-
Reference
17820i
  • Pictures
  • Online

Available online

view Glasgow: the Royal Infirmary, the cathedral, and Barony Church. Line engraving by J. Swan after J. Knox.

Licence

Public Domain Mark
You can use this work for any purpose without restriction under copyright law.
Public Domain Mark (PDM) terms and conditions https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/mark/1.0
Credit: Glasgow: the Royal Infirmary, the cathedral, and Barony Church. Line engraving by J. Swan after J. Knox. Wellcome Collection. Public Domain Mark

Selected images from this work


About this work

Description

In the foreground the street called Rottenrow. Left background, the Royal Infirmary building designed by Robert Adam and opened on 8 December 1794 (Jenkinson et al., op. cit. pp. 18-21). Centre, the cathedral Church of St Mungo. Right, Barony church, the parish church of Barony parish, designed by Robert and James Adam and built 1793-1800. "The building's design did not meet with universal approval and Queen Victoria's chaplain Dr Norman Macleod (minister of the Barony Church, 1851-1872) described it as "the ugliest kirk in all Europe." " (The Glasgow story website, accessed 3 March 2011)

Physical description

1 print : line engraving ; border 9.9 x 14 cm

Lettering

View of Infirmary, Barony Church &c. from Kirk Street. Drawn by J. Knox. Engd. by Joseph Swan.

References note

Jacqueline Jenkinson, Michael Moss & Iain Russell, The Royal: the history of Glasgow Royal Infirmary, 1794-1994, [Glasgow] 1994, f.p. 80

Reference

Wellcome Library no. 17820i

Type/Technique

Languages

  • English


Where to find it

  • LocationStatusAccess
    Closed stores
    OpenOnline request

Permanent link