The Reading Room on level 2 of Wellcome Collection is a spectacular hybrid of library and museum, suitable for all ages and interests.
There’s an array of books and objects grouped around themes, including travel, pain, food and the body. You can perform digital autopsies on an interactive forensics table, discover amulets and charms from all over the world, send a postcard to a friend, or unroll a replica of an alchemical scroll.
On the shelves you will find over 1,000 different titles, featuring fiction, memoirs, graphic novels, magazines and even pop-up books.
Sofas and beanbags give you a place to read and relax, or to sit and discuss the books and objects with friends. If you’re looking for a place to study or read quietly, head through to the Library.
Events in the Reading Room
There’s a regular programme of events, including book groups, workshops and performances, so listen out for announcements or ask staff about what’s on. If you have an idea for an event you can propose it through the Open Platform. You can hire the space out of hours for private events too.
- Monday Closed
- Tuesday 10:00—18:00
- Wednesday 10:00—18:00
- Thursday 10:00—21:00
- Friday 10:00—18:00
- Saturday 10:00—18:00
- Sunday 10:00—18:00
Christmas and New Year hours
- Sunday 22 December 10:00—18:00
- Monday 23 December Closed
- Tuesday 24 December Closed
- Wednesday 25 December Closed
- Thursday 26 December Closed
- Friday 27 December 10:00—18:00
- Saturday 28 December 10:00—18:00
- Sunday 29 December 10:00—18:00
- Monday 30 December 10:00—18:00
- Tuesday 31 December 10:00—18:00
- Wednesday 1 January Closed