Our Youth Panel experiences the museum behind the scenes, producing original and inspiring work, and building skills that support their professional and personal development.
What you’ll do
The youth panel will share ideas, collaborate with others, and make the museum an interactive space for young people.
The panel runs from October 2023 until August 2024. The group meets twice a month at Wellcome Collection Youth Studio.
- Visit Wellcome Collection and get to know the staff, our exhibitions, and each other.
- Go on visits, hear speakers, attend private views of exhibitions, and end the year with a festive social.
- Build transferable skills like project management, researching, teamwork, event management, CV writing, and interviewing.
What have youth panels done before?
- Co-produced an exclusive after hours event for young people inspired by Genetic Automata.
- Developed an online event, ‘Changing Our Planet, Changing Our Minds (PDF 1790kb)’, as part of a project about climate change, inspired by our gallery ‘Being Human’.
- Co-produced a private view of ‘Being Human’ (PDF 320kb) exclusively for young people.
- Created a Game Design Project, which was featured in the ‘Play Well’ exhibition.
Being a [youth panel member] for the Wellcome Collection helped me further and extend my artistic skills and creativity.
How to apply?
If you are a young person aged 14 to 19 or a disabled young person aged 14-25, you can apply by 5pm on Wednesday 20th September 2023. There are seven spaces.
Complete this form to apply.
Or send us your responses in an audio or video format under 5-minutes long:
If you need to respond in a format not suggested, please let us know.
The form asks for key details about you and has questions about why you want to apply and what you hope to get from being involved. We are keen to hear about your interest for this project and not judging applications on your past experiences or quality of writing or speaking.
What happens later?
At the end of the programme, you can choose to join our alumni group. This includes previous Youth Programme participants. As part of the alumni group you will:
- get invitations to private views of exhibitions, with opportunities to network
- hear about paid job opportunities with us and across the museum sector.
[Being in the Youth Panel] really helped demonstrate skills and experience applicable to other areas… I will always be grateful for the doors the Youth Programme has opened for me, both in and out of Wellcome Collection itself.