To enter our building you’ll need to book a free ticket in advance. Choose between two different ticket types depending on whether you are visiting the museum or the library.
- Choose a time slot.
- You can book up to six tickets.
- Stay as long as you like.
- You will be able to visit the Reading Room, ‘Being Human’ (including ‘What does it mean to be human now?’), ‘Medicine Man’, ‘Joy’ and ‘Tranquillity’ and the café.
Library and museum visit
- Only library members are able to book a ticket to visit the library.
- Choose a time slot.
- You can book to visit the library as many times as you like.
- You can stay for up to three hours in the general library space, and the whole day in the Rare Materials Room.
- You will be able to visit the library as well as the galleries and café.
- To access materials from closed store you will need to book your Rare Materials Room ticket and order any materials by 10am the day before your visit so we can ensure they are ready for you.
- You will need a new ticket for each day you visit.
- A limited number of tickets are available on the door for library members and non-members on a first come, first served basis. Please ask a member of staff on the door.
- Non-members are encouraged to plan alternative study venues in the event that our on the door tickets run out.
Need to know about your library visit
What to bring
- Your ticket – on your phone is fine
- Your library card
- Your face covering – this will need to be worn for the duration of your visit.
You can still bring in your laptop, study materials and pencils in a clear plastic bag or carried, as normal. You can leave anything else in the lockers on level 2.
Please note that a limited number of shared computers are available. Printers and scanners are not yet available.
Ordering materials from closed stores
All ordered material will be delivered to the Rare Materials Room (RMR). You can visit the RMR as many times as you like, and you will need to book the ticket in Eventbrite that indicates ‘material access’ in the Rare Materials Room. Please only book if you need it, as there is limited availability to allow for social distancing.
- Once you’ve booked your ticket, you can request up to 15 items from the library catalogue at wellcomecollection.org/collections.
- Please place your requests by 10am the day before your visit.
- The materials that you order will be available to collect at the time of your booked visit.
- If your plans change and you are no longer able to visit, please let us know or cancel your ticket, so we can make your desk available for someone else.
With a ‘material access’ ticket, you can visit for the whole day and arrive at any time during our opening hours. If you are visiting to browse our open shelves, you are guaranteed three hours in our spaces but can stay for longer if we are not busy. You can spend as much time as you like in the rest of the building.
You will be able to book a ticket for access to the open shelves and the general library space at any time. When you have finished with your books, please place them on a trolley for library staff to reshelve.
- The accessible study room is available on request - please email the library before you book your ticket to make sure the room is available on the days you want to visit. We’re allowing one booking per day to ensure thorough cleaning before the next user.
Need to know about your ticket
- You can book a museum visit for up to six people at a time, and a single ticket for a library visit.
- It’s important that you arrive during your 15-minute slot or we may have to ask you to book another ticket.
- If you think you are not going to make your slot or change your mind about visiting, please cancel and rebook. Do not give your ticket to anyone else – we are collecting information for NHS Track and Trace.
- Please bring your ticket with you, if you can – on your phone is fine. You will have your ticket checked by our staff on arrival.
- Once you have left the building you cannot re-enter. This is so we can manage visitor numbers and allow plenty of space for social distancing.
- You will be able to book museum tickets up until 30 minutes before the start of each time slot.