Friday Late Spectacular: Body Language
Friday 4 November 2016
If your body could speak, what would it say? From British Sign Language to dance as activism, interaction with robots to political posturing: what do languages of the body reveal or conceal about the experience of inhabiting one? Join us for an evening of embodied exploration and discover how your body talks.
Curated by Alice Carey and Elsa Richardson.
This is a special late-night event with a bar running all night. The building might be busy and space is limited, so entry is not guaranteed.
The full programme is available here (PDF, 170KB):
Body Language programme.pdf
Highlights from the programme include:
- Making the Body Speak. Humorous, dark and tender, this programme of short films explores some of the more unusual ways our bodies communicate meaning.
- Body to Brain: Neuroimaging research demonstration. Watch how the brain responds to everything from high fives to facepalms with researchers from the Social Neuroscience lab at UCL.
- ‘Bodies of Knowledge’ zine workshop. Retrace and reimagine the visual language of the Wellcome archives in this hands-on zine-making workshop developed by Collective Creativity artists Evan Ifekoya, Raisa Kabir, Rudy Loewe and Raju Rage.
Tickets for the following activities are now fully booked:
- Speaking Without Words, 19.30–20.10. Intensive Interaction practitioner Phoebe Caldwell shares the techniques she uses to communicate better with children and adults on the autism spectrum
- Fat Activism, 20.30-21.10. How are bodies spoken about, and who gets to do the talking? Hear what activist Charlotte Cooper has to say about the silencing of fat bodies, followed by a performance in Medicine Now.
- Dialects of Body Language, 21.30–22.10. Nonverbal-behaviour expert Harry Witchel explains what the dialects of the body have to say about cultural differences, political rhetoric and subconscious desires.
- Skeleton Argument, 19.00-19.30, 20.00-20.30, 21.00-21.30. Join artist Josh Bitelli at one of three half-hour participatory performance workshops focusing on the embodied techniques of presentation and the language of healthcare.
- Body Talk Workout: Specialist languages of the body x 3, 19.00–20.00, 20.15–21.15, 21.30–22.30. Strike a pose as you learn about the history of voguing with divaD Magnifique; experience the radical power of nonverbal communication in a British Sign Language workshop led by Deepa Shastri and Nadia Nadarajah; and fine-tune your funny bones in a subversive slapstick session with fight directors RC-Annie.
This event is FREE. Most activities are drop-in but some talks need booking in advance.
All pre-booked talks will be British Sign Language interpreted. To book a place with a view of the interpreter, or if you have other accessibility requests or requirements, please email email@example.com or call us on 020 7611 2222.